Sunday, March 20, 2011

FINALLY!!!! Da Vinci 2008 Chianti - Jennifer's Review

Well, it has been quite the hiatus for the old wine blog, but we are back up and drinking!  Poor Lindsay was really sick for a good long while and was unable to drink with the illness and then the antibiotics.

So, the Da Vinci?  I had my eye on this wine for a few years, but because I am typically a cheapskate I never indulged.  When Lindsay recommended it I was glad and it was also, coincidentally, on sale this week at Jewel-double win!!!

I always follow the Wine Lover's Simple Tasting Form when I do my tastings.  You can find it here.

After uncorking and allowing the wine to breath for 5 seconds (normal recommended time would be 30 minutes, but it had been a long day so cut me some slack!)  I poured it into the glass and took a good look at the beautiful rich magenta color.  Even though it was a red wine, you could see that it had clarity and the light shone through the wine to reveal many shades of reddish purple when I held it up to the light in my kitchen.  The aroma was mostly oak, but if you sniffed real hard that slight bit of fruit could be detected.  The flavor of the wine very much matched the aroma in that the oak was the first to be tasted and that was followed by the fruit in the finish.  I really loved this wine, as I tend to prefer "earthy" reds.  The medium finish was just the right length, in my opinion and left me wanting that next sip.  My final grade, according to the Parker Scale, was a 91.25.  I would definitely recommend this wine and I will certainly purchase it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment